Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of rental unit qualifies? 
Any existing rental housing may be eligible; single family homes, condominiums, apartments, mobile homes, townhouses, duplexes, etc.  All rental units must conform to Housing Quality Standards and meet local code requirements.

Where can the unit be located? 
They can be located anywhere in Riverside County.

May I raise the rent once I have signed a contract? 
Not in the first year of the lease.  After the first year, you may request an increase in the rent.  In the case of a Voucher rent increase, the family must pay the entire amount of the increase and they may move to another unit if they feel they cannot afford the increase.    The landlord must request an increase in writing at least 60 days prior to the anniversary date in order to get the increase on the anniversary date.   If the request is received at a later date, the increase will be effective at least 60 days later.

If the rent amount that I am requesting is not as much as I want, can the tenant pay an additional amount?
No.  "Side payments" are prohibited by the regulations and by the contract that you sign with the Housing Authority.  The Housing Authority would have the right to terminate the contract and allow the tenant to relocate.

May an owner sell a property while it is under contract with the Housing Authority?
Yes, an owner may sell the property under contract.   See the Voucher contract for more details.

How often are the units inspected by the Housing Authority? 
The rental units are inspected prior to a contract being signed and at least annually thereafter.

What are the benefits for a participating landlord?
The Housing Authority portion of the rent is sent by direct deposit to your checking account on the first business day of each month.  The Voucher program allows you to fill a vacancy in a rental unit with a tenant who, by being on the program, gives you greater assurance of being able to afford the unit.  The portion of rent a tenant is responsible to pay may change depending on their household income and qualified deductions. 

May I rent my unit to a family member who is receiving rental assistance though the Housing Voucher Choice Program?
No. Federal Regulations [24 CFR 982.306 (d)] prohibits the Housing Authority from approving a unit for assistance if the owner is the parent, child, grandparent, sister, or brother of any member of the family.  The only exception to this regulation is when a family member is a person with disabilities and it has been determined that approving the unit would provide a reasonable accommodation for that family member.

Can I get an inspection before I find an eligible family that wants to rent my unit?
No.  The resources of the Housing Authority are limited and we can only do inspections after your unit is selected by an eligible family and a Request for Tenancy Approval is completed.  We also request that you make any necessary repairs prior  to an inspection to avoid the necessity of another inspection and a delay in the start of the lease and contract effective period.  

What does a unit have to have to pass inspection? 
Please see our checklist for tenants and landlords for more information.  The unit needs to meet basic building codes for safe and sanitary housing.  Doors and windows must open, close and lock.  Plumbing and electrical systems must work properly.  Heating and cooling must be adequate.   Most well maintained rental units should be able to pass an inspection.  For more complete information on inspections, please see the brochure, A Good Place to Live in PDF format. 

*You will need an Adobe Acrobat Reader to open this brochure.  It is available free of charge from Adobe.